Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Digging Deeper Into my Religion

My older sister is already first year High School and am in Grade 5. Now, we hear masses occasionally, that is, at eve of Christmas Day, New Year, Feast of the Three Kings, Palm Sunday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Town Fiesta, Barangay Fiesta and birthdays. I just help my mother do the household chores on week-ends like cleaning the house, washing the dishes, sweeping the yard, among others. Sometimes, we go to the river and get oysters and mussels for viand. At times, we go to the fishpond dikes to get tree branches (fuels) for cooking but most of the time, we go to our uncle's house and play with our cousins games like hide and seek, chinese garter, piko (hopscotch), etc.

After a short nap in the afternoon, I read the Catholic Cathechism Book of my mother. She was a teacher in religion prior to passing the teachers' Board examination. It was an old book but I love reading it because of the drawings and sketches. In addition, I get to know the reason why we (as Catholics) do things like having communions, confessions, pray to Mama Mary, observance of the Lenten Season and many more.

In my simple understanding of the book, I need to confess my sins to priests to cleanse my sins and be holy and acceptable to God. Confession is necessary prior to communion. Communion is required to receive the Body of Christ and praying to Mama Mary is inevitable to intercede to Christ for my prayer requests. My mother told me that if Mama Mary would tell Jesus what to do, He would do it. I need to observe the lenten season by eating less and no meat on Fridays to suffer with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment